Australian Federal Government departments such as the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) refers to Rideshare as "Ride-sourcing."

Queensland Terminology

Booked Hire / Ride-booking
In Queensland, rideshare activites are known as Booked Hire or Ride-booking. Taxis and other regulated transport vehicles can also provide Booked Hire services.


Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR or DTMR)
The Government entity responsible for regulating road transport within Queensland.

Personalised Transport / TransLink
The department within TMR responsible for Booked Hire activities.

Transport Operations (Passenger Transport) Act 1994
The main legislation that defines the rules for Booked Hire and other public passenger transportation services such as Taxis and Limousines. Subordinate legislation also exists, including:
- Transport Operations (Passenger Transport) Regulation 2018;
- Transport Operations (Passenger Transport) Standard 2010

Companies & Platforms

Booking Entity Authority (BEA)
A BEA is an authorisation that is required if you arrange bookings for customers. BEA holders have extensive record keeping requirements and obligations to both passengers and drivers. Example: Uber, OLA, DiDi, etc.


Booked Hire Service Licence (BHSL)
A BHSL is a licence for a vehicle, that is required if you provide booked hire services (other than in a taxi or limousine). To apply for a BHSL, the vehicle will need a current COI, correct POU and correct CTP class.

Certificate of Inspection (COI)
Vehicles used for Booked Hire must be inspected for safety every 12 months by TMR or an approved inspection station. A COI is issued when the vehicle passes the inspection.

Purporse of Use (POU)
Vehicles used for Booked Hire must be registered in Queensland with the appropriate purpose of use. This is changed by the insurer, when the appropriate CTP class is applied.

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance
All vehicle registrations in Queensland include CTP insurance, which protects motor vehicle owners and drivers from being held financially responsible if they injure someone in a motor vehicle accident. Privately owned booked hire vehicles require CTP Class 26. Rental vehicles require CTP Class 4. Both of these are significantly more expensive than the Class 1 CTP for standard passenger vehicles.

Signage requirements
All vehicles used to provide ride-booking services (excl. taxis and limousines) must display a ride-booking service identification sign, approved by the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) when the vehicle is in service. BEA holders must provide their TMR approved vehicle signs. Signs must be displayed on the front and rear windscreens, in the bottom, curbside corner. Signs must be removed when the vehicle is not providing booked hire services.


Passenger Transport Driver Authorisation - BHTX
A driver authorisation (DA) is a qualification required by drivers of motor vehicles used to provide a particular public passenger service. The Booked Hire / Taxi (BHTX) class of DA is required for ride-booking drivers. To apply for a BHTX class DA, a driver must first obtain an appropriate medical certificate. Once the application is lodged and the fees paid, TMR will conduct criminal history checks as part of the approval process.

Online presence © Rideshare Driver Network | Powered by Tendenci